Monocycles during the Olympics closing.

Old August 25th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
utemplarbond

Default Monocycles during the Olympics closing.

Unicycle/Monocycle, same thing right?
I was blown away, it seems that no one lost their balance, they all
kept correct distances, turned and all that with lights on.
I want one!
Thoughts

--
utemplarbond
Old August 25th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surfer1024

utemplarbond wrote:
Unicycle/Monocycle, same thing right?
I was blown away, it seems that no one lost their balance, they all
kept correct distances, turned and all that with lights on.
I want one!
Thoughts

I was just about to post this as I was watching the closing ceremony.
Those are monocycles (as in you ride inside the wheel).

[image: http://www.techdigest.tv/monocycle-thumb.jpg]

--
surfer1024

*)--SmallSpin-'O,* 1st Place)---hickflip-'O,

Latest Vid: 'Man's Best Friend'
#f5f5f5
Old August 25th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Haha looks like H.G. Well's Time machine!

--
MuniAddict

'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com/)
Old August 25th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Fraggle

Yeah, I noticed them, glad I wasn't the only one who did, lol.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72414

--
Fraggle

F.
Old August 25th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
StephenH

See this thread:
http://tinyurl.com/5x84o5

I'm not aware of any significance to monocycle/unicycle terminology. I
think in Spanish, a unicycle is called a monocycle, for example.

--
StephenH
Old August 25th 08, 06:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
guest123

surfer1024 wrote:
I was just about to post this as I was watching the closing ceremony.
Those are monocycles (as in you ride inside the wheel).

edit: this one is pedaled by hand and the ones in the olympics are foot
pedaled.
[image: http://www.techdigest.tv/monocycle-thumb.jpg]

Actually, it is foot-pedaled. There is a crank mechanism (similar to
stream train's) if you look carefully, that connect to the driving
wheel (brass color) right under the handles.

--
guest123
Old August 25th 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

I tried riding one back in 2003. I'm not sure I was all that successful,
though I may have been . It's harder than a unicycle for sure (and the
balance seems different). But I may be completely mistaken as it was
long ago and I wasn't half the rider I am today.

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism and Spencer.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca
Old August 25th 08, 11:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

Within the unicycling community, a *monocycle *is a unicycle where you
sit inside the wheel, and a *unicycle *is one where you sit outside
(usually above) the wheel.

However, these are technical terms preferred by enthusiasts. In the
wider world, the terms are considered to be interchangeable.

Those things looked a real handful to steer.

If you search YouTube for *monowheel *you will find some startling
videos of motorised versions, with some footage of serious crashes.

--
Mikefule

"We shall do best to think of life as a process of disillusionment,
since this is, clearly enough, what everything that happens to us is
calculated to produce."
Arthur "Merry" Schopenhauer.
Old August 25th 08, 11:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheeliefine[_2_]

Monocycles, yep'm, because you are inside the wheel.

I tried one at Unicon 12. It's much easier to pick up than unicycling,
although it may be more difficult to reach high levels of proficiency
as they are quite unwieldy. José Barreto (of Puerto Rico's uni
basketball squad) got the hang of it very quickly.
Old August 25th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jaco_flans

Monocycle is unicycle in french....

--
jaco_flans

High jump:78cm
Long jump:5ft+
-YaKob www.youtube.com/TeamJWJ
sorry for my english... If it's wrong!

monocycles at Beijing olympics BluntRM Unicycling 0 June 9th 08 06:32 PM
monocycles at Beijing olympics muzzle Unicycling 0 June 9th 08 10:50 AM
THEY'RE CLOSING IN! datakoll Racing 5 October 1st 07 12:22 AM
Chinese monocycles for sale, finally Jack Halpern Unicycling 21 October 31st 06 11:24 PM
Chinese Monocycles -- good news Jack Halpern Unicycling 5 July 17th 04 10:31 PM