Good road/hybrid bike for 235lb. person ?

Old August 30th 03, 11:01 PM
Hans K0HB

Default Good road/hybrid bike for 235lb. person ?

"Sorni" wrote

It never fails to amaze me when people say "f- off" to someone, but are too
lazy to snip their syrupy polite sigs afterwards.

Bill "kind regards...aw, screw it" S.

My syrupy polite sig was oh-so-very deliberate.

With best kind wishes,

Hans

Old August 30th 03, 11:10 PM
Buck

"Hans Kohb" wrote in message

My attitude may be slipping (whatever the he11 that means), but yours is
sanctimonious and insulting. For further details, please see
http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy

With all kind wishes,

Hans

At your age, you should know better than that. Although some of the folks
around here are a bit grouchy, we do make an effort to keep it clean. My
daughter likes to "read" these newsgroups with me but cannot these days
simply because people think that it is fine to drop all cordiality and post
garbage such as the link you posted, Hans. I'm just glad that she wasn't in
the room when the music started. Of course, the only recourse is to add you
to the killfile.

-Buck

Old August 31st 03, 12:11 AM
Chris B.

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:37:57 +0000 (UTC), "Hans Kohb"
wrote:

"Denver C. Fox" wrote

But, using your age and "geezerhood" as an excuse to not be open to new things
and ideas IS a copout. You didn't say it was your preference or whatever, you
stated you would not want a road bike essentially because of your advanced age
of 63 yo. Bah, humbug. Attitude is half the battle, and yours is slipping.

My attitude may be slipping (whatever the he11 that means), but yours is
sanctimonious and insulting. For further details, please see
http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy

With all kind wishes,

Hans

Thanks, http://nwwebworks.home.comcast.net/images/fword.wav was worth
the listen!

--
Chris Bird
Old August 31st 03, 02:48 AM
Denver C. Fox

I really get tired of damaging stereotypes of we more mature folks, especially
of all the things we are not supposed to be able to do as we get older. The
stereotypes themselves are a major part of the problem - all research has shown
we can keep fit, active, and do lots and lots of things. But we tend to
believe what we hear and read. Personally, I ride about 3,00-3,500 miles per
year (yes, on a road bike and a mtn bike), I lift weight 3 x's a week (and I
mean some pretty hefty weights), power walk, cross-country ski, hike, work full
time - (no I haven't retired and don't plan on doing that - most retired folks
I know find their way to an early grave).

It is even worse when the stereotypes of older folks are perpetuated by folks
who are older themselves.

So sorry, but that guy seems to need an attitude adjustment, IMHO.
"Geezerhood" - I can't believe someone wrote that!!

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Old August 31st 03, 03:36 AM
Sorni

"Denver C. Fox" wrote in message
[...]

I re-read the thread, and I must say your O doesn't seem very H.

While I agree that Hans showed extremely poor taste/judgment in posting that
link, I think he was right to ask who the heck you are to judge/lecture him.
Not everyone is blessed with such excellent health and vitality as your
highness apparently is; most of us agree that just getting out there (on
whatever and however fast) is a victory in and of itself.

He initially used "geezerhood" in a humorous, self-deprecating manner; then
you came along all serious-like and tell him he's copping out. Ever hear of
"Live and Let Live"?

Bill "and while we're at it, you could lose the blatant condo rental spam,
too" S.

Old August 31st 03, 05:46 AM
Denver C. Fox

Not everyone is blessed with such excellent health and vitality as your
highness apparently is; most of us agree that just getting out there (on
whatever and however fast) is a victory in and of itself.

Well, this last year I had brain surgery for an extremely serious and painful
condition (Trigeminal Neuralgia - look it up) which required over several
months prior massive amounts of drugs like Tegretol and Trileptal to control -
all of which are devastating on your system, a lithotripsy for several kidney
stones, a cancer removed from my forehead. So, I am not blessed, I just work
hard at trying to keep myself together. I have spent this summer getting back
in shape. I and my wife followed the Body for Life regimen for 12 weeks, just
finishing it. And, yes, we were the oldest folks in the group.

And, I do applaud Hans for getting out there. That is certainly a good step. I
hope he keeps his options open, and does not limit what he thinks he can and
can't do.

As far as the "rental condo" signature, a single link is is well within
Usenetiquette. I will keep it, thank you.

And this will be the end of my epiphany.

Cheers.

Old August 31st 03, 08:47 AM
Luigi de Guzman

"Buck" j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m wrote in message . ..
"Luigi de Guzman" wrote in message
om...

He doesn't merit a killfiling just for that. Mr. Fox was perhaps
taking a remark that was initially meant in jest a bit too seriously;
Hans in his turn took offense at what was meant to be an encouraging
remark to think more positively about his station in life.

I'm sure no offense was genuinely meant by either party.

Perhaps reciprocal apologies would lead to a reconciliation, and the
peace of RBM can be maintained without resorting to further flames,
profanity, or killfiling.

Luigi, I admire your willingness to forgive and forget. But when I started
participating in this newsgroup several years ago, the profanity was quite
rare. In the last year or so, it has gone from being a family forum to
something much less desirable. I can understand the occasional desire to use
profanity, but most of the people around here are able to express themselves
without it.

....guilty as charged, sir. (see my response on the lights thread for
my opinion on the 'wastage' of precious watts on shucking and....)

But then, I don't think I've cussed on RBM. No need to here.

Providing a link to something that foul without a warning to
what it is going to be is just inexcusable. I was always taught not to use
language I wouldn't want my grandmother to hear. While I suppose that
wouldn't mean much to some, if everyone were to follow the spirit of that
warning, we could have meaningful discussions and still keep it acceptable
for kids.

RBM is largely acceptable to kids, if it's not acceptable *for* them.
Precious little is acceptable for kids these days. Interrupt a
schoolyard fight sometime; you learn to cuss awful good there.
*laugh*

I notice that there aren't really very many young usenet users. I
wonder what the demographics of usenet really are, anyway...with the
web and the proliferation of other channels of communication
(web-based bulletin boards particularly), I'm beginning to think
relatively few people blunder their way onto usenet at all....

Hey all you lurkers out there--who's the youngest one reading this?

Besides, aren't the best insults ones where the recipient thinks
he's being complimented?

Not a question of insult, but a provocation to violence. Again, I
doubt any real harm was meant by either man.

Now if he'd said something like "I hope your bearings sieze, you
no-count, huffy-riding wheelsucker...." well...them's fightin' words.

-Luigi

" Power is when we have every
justification to kill - and we don't. That's power.
That's what the emperors had. A man stole
something, he's brought in before the emperor,
he throws himself down on the floor, he begs
for mercy, he knows he's going to die ... and
the emperor pardons him. This worthless man.
He lets him go. That's power. That's power."
-Schindler's List
Old August 31st 03, 04:54 PM
Hans K0HB

Default Two things

Thing # 1 ::: I sincerely apologize to the all the good folks on RBM
for the link I posted. It was in really poor taste.

Thing # 2 ::: Denver, I don't lift weights, I don't climb mountains,
and I don't ride road bikes. Doesn't make me a child of a lesser god.
But I do ride a comfortable bike about 20 miles most every day, I paddle
canoes and portage them (and a big duluth pack) all over the BWCA
regularly, I guide fishing parties on Lake Vermilion, and my attitude is
just fine, thank you very much for asking. Deal with it.

Regards,

Hans

Old September 1st 03, 07:29 PM
John

I weigh more than you do. I have a Cannondale F700 that I take over
extremely rough forest roads/trails with absolutely no problems. I also use
it to commute to work. The plain flat bars the bike came with were replaced
with (riser) Monkey Bars which I liked better.

"Bretton" wrote in message
om...
I'd like to get a new road or hybrid bike (I want a more upright
riding position and don't like drop bars). I weigh 235lbs. and
wondered if this will cause any problems?

I'm currently looking at the Cannondale Road Warrior 900 and the
Cannondale Bad Boy (plain version without shocks). I live in a very
hilly area of the country and wonder if the gearing on the Bad Boy
might work better...

I have a Specialized Crossroads (about 4 years old, steel frame), but
I'd like something a bit nicer as I've started doing longer rides and
will be doing a 20 mile and two 50 mile rides in September and
October.

Any suggestions or comments? Should I be worried about riding an
aluminum frame because of my weight?

Thanks!

-Brett

Old September 4th 03, 03:56 AM
smiles

Giant Cypress SX ... it's rated tops in consumer reports and is mostly 105
for $650 ...

Cannondale is out of bankruptcy and see it as remaining solvent ... just
screwed a bunch of companies over in the industry to bail themselves out of
their moto-mess-up. I will not do business with them and think they should
share their spot in Wal-Mart with Schwinn ...

k.net...