Chewing Gum on tire

Old September 4th 03, 04:11 PM
Tom Parker

Default Chewing Gum on tire

After riding through a parking lot I noticed a big glob of
sticky chewing gum on my front tire. I scraped off what
I could,and then tried riding for a while on a dirt/gravel
trail. That resulted in more debris sticking to the gum,
which I also scraped off, but there is still a bunch of
gum embedded into the tire grooves.

Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

Old September 4th 03, 10:32 PM
Ray Heindl

Tom Parker wrote:

After riding through a parking lot I noticed a big glob of
sticky chewing gum on my front tire. I scraped off what
I could,and then tried riding for a while on a dirt/gravel
trail. That resulted in more debris sticking to the gum,
which I also scraped off, but there is still a bunch of
gum embedded into the tire grooves.

Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

I've heard that ice can be used to chill the gum, making it harder and
less sticky so it can be removed. Don't know if that would work in
tire grooves though. Wait till winter, and even if it doesn't go away
you probably won't care any more.

--
Ray Heindl
(remove the X to reply)
Old September 4th 03, 11:01 PM
Karen M.

Tom wrote:
After riding through a parking lot I noticed a big glob of
sticky chewing gum on my front tire. I scraped off what
I could,and then tried riding for a while on a dirt/gravel
trail. That resulted in more debris sticking to the gum,
which I also scraped off, but there is still a bunch of
gum embedded into the tire grooves.

Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

Freeze it as best you can (remove tire, fold up, keep in freezer?
Or apply an ice cube) and then pick out the stiff little bits.
HTH

--Karen M.
hey, it works for carpets!
Old September 5th 03, 12:31 AM
Jiyang Chen

Use a product call Goo Gone. It removed very sticky tree sap from my shoes
and pedals, and might be able to remove chewing gum.

Jiyang Chen

Old September 5th 03, 01:13 AM
Burn Gum! It Melts!

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:11:26 GMT, Tom Parker
said:

Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

By licking it off and chewing it and trying to blow the World's Biggest
Bubble.

--

I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative!
----- http://members.iglou.com/bandit ------

Check out my blog blogga blog at http://bandit73.pitas.com

Say NO to Ernie "Hey Bert" Fletcher! Vote for the other bozo!
Better yet, don't vote at all! It just encourages the jerks!
Old September 5th 03, 01:16 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Freeze it as best you can (remove tire, fold up, keep in freezer?
Or apply an ice cube) and then pick out the stiff little bits.
HTH

Karen: Another secret trick is to use masking tape. Works wonders on glue,
gum, all sorts of things like that. Definitely works great on clothing, not
so sure about carpet.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

"Karen M." wrote in message
om...

Old September 5th 03, 02:49 AM
Buck

said:

Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

Another trick to try is a rag soaked in vegetable oil. This usually works
really well on other adhesives like the goop used to keep stickers on. It
might work with gum as well.

-Buck

Old September 5th 03, 03:41 AM
Golightly F.

"Goof Off"

hth

"Tom Parker"

Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

Old September 5th 03, 03:39 PM
Pete Biggs

Tom Parker wrote:
After riding through a parking lot I noticed a big glob of
sticky chewing gum on my front tire. I scraped off what
I could,and then tried riding for a while on a dirt/gravel
trail. That resulted in more debris sticking to the gum,
which I also scraped off, but there is still a bunch of
gum embedded into the tire grooves.

Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

WD40 and a screwdriver.

~PB

Old September 5th 03, 03:51 PM
Heathcliff Bambino

Tom Parker wrote in message . ..
After riding through a parking lot I noticed a big glob of
sticky chewing gum on my front tire. I scraped off what
I could,and then tried riding for a while on a dirt/gravel
trail. That resulted in more debris sticking to the gum,
which I also scraped off, but there is still a bunch of
gum embedded into the tire grooves.

Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

OK, this will sound goofy, but . . . try a cheese cutter.
Specifically, the kind that has a wire strung across with a roller
behind it. Works great to get tar off, I haven't tried it on gum
specifically. No solvents and won't hurt the tire.

Women riding alone- is that THAT unusual?? Zoot Katz General 49 August 31st 03 02:17 AM
Tire mounting trouble Terry Morse General 3 August 20th 03 02:52 AM
Q. Will I benefit from different tire size or type? Joe Samangitak General 15 August 8th 03 03:38 AM
Tire Wear David L. Johnson General 7 July 15th 03 04:44 PM
Tire recommendation?? Paul Southworth General 0 July 14th 03 05:38 PM