cheapish HRM

Old September 24th 03, 02:15 PM
Spider1977

Default cheapish HRM

gravelmuncher wrote:
I want to start working my training around a Heart Rate Monitor. The
thing is, my wife just bought me a cateye computer (if she'd only asked
me first, i'd have told her to get one with a HRM!) so i really only
need a monitor that 'does the job'. I've asked a couple of bike shops,
but i don't really need a $220 + job. So does anyone know where to pick
up a cheapish one?
happy days, J

I bought a good one on eBay about a year ago. Spent about $160 on a
Polar Accurex. It does everything I need.

Old September 24th 03, 02:20 PM
David S. Maddison

In article 24 Sep 2003 13:26:00
+0950 gravelmuncher wrote:

I want to start working my training around a Heart Rate Monitor. The
thing is, my wife just bought me a cateye computer (if she'd only asked
me first, i'd have told her to get one with a HRM!) so i really only
need a monitor that 'does the job'. I've asked a couple of bike shops,
but i don't really need a $220 + job. So does anyone know where to pick
up a cheapish one?

I purchased a combined HRM and speedo from the US for about A$100
including an outrageous amount of postage. It was the HRM 1000 from
http://www.supergo.com/. I believe it was originally a Polar model
which became obsolete and was then produced in a rebadged from by
SuperGo.

[Later]

Having said that, I just checked the SuperGo site and they no longer
have that model. However they have others. Worth checking out...

David

Old September 24th 03, 04:35 PM
John Everett

+0950 gravelmuncher wrote:

I want to start working my training around a Heart Rate Monitor. The
thing is, my wife just bought me a cateye computer (if she'd only asked
me first, i'd have told her to get one with a HRM!) so i really only
need a monitor that 'does the job'. I've asked a couple of bike shops,
but i don't really need a $220 + job. So does anyone know where to pick
up a cheapish one?

I purchased a combined HRM and speedo from the US for about A$100
including an outrageous amount of postage. It was the HRM 1000 from
http://www.supergo.com/. I believe it was originally a Polar model
which became obsolete and was then produced in a rebadged from by
SuperGo.

Actually they were originally Vetta HR-1000s. I have three Vettas and
two Supergos and have been really happy with them. Some are over ten
years old and still working.

Having said that, I just checked the SuperGo site and they no longer
have that model. However they have others. Worth checking out...

Too bad if they're no longer available. I just emailed Supergo asking
if they've discontinued that model. Hopefully it's just temporary.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Old September 25th 03, 07:55 AM
tony f

On 24 Sep 2003 13:26:00 +0950, gravelmuncher
wrote:

I want to start working my training around a Heart Rate Monitor. The
thing is, my wife just bought me a cateye computer (if she'd only asked
me first, i'd have told her to get one with a HRM!) so i really only
need a monitor that 'does the job'. I've asked a couple of bike shops,
but i don't really need a $220 + job. So does anyone know where to pick
up a cheapish one?

ALDI

About $50. The people I know with them seem happy, and didn't want all
the bells and whistles (and associated cost) of Polars. Probably not
as good, but may well be good enough. Never used one myself.

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com

Old October 1st 03, 10:45 PM
thebow

gravelmuncher wrote:
I want to start working my training around a Heart Rate Monitor. The
thing is, my wife just bought me a cateye computer (if she'd only asked
me first, i'd have told her to get one with a HRM!) so i really only
need a monitor that 'does the job'. I've asked a couple of bike shops,
but i don't really need a $220 + job. So does anyone know where to pick
up a cheapish one?
happy days, J

Dick smith have them for $79 - not as cheap as the ALDI ones but worth a
look as well.

I might pick one of them up as I have been looking for one as well so
I'll let you know what it's like if you are interested?

Old October 1st 03, 10:45 PM
thebow

thebow wrote:
Dick smith have them for $79 - not as cheap as the ALDI ones but worth a
look as well.
I might pick one of them up as I have been looking for one as well so
I'll let you know what it's like if you are interested?

Oh BTW - the dse one is an Atech which has had a bit of negative press
but by the looks of it your milage with them may vary..