Why are Cofidis still in the Tour?

Old June 26th 04, 10:43 AM
chickasmith

Default Why are Cofidis still in the Tour?

Considering that at least two riders in this team have admitted to using
illegal performance enhancing drugs this year (Philippe Gaumont, now
retired, and David Millar, still a showpony), why haven't the team been
banned from competing in this years Tour?

This occurs after a former Kelme rider, Jesus Manzano went public on the
alledged drug practices of the Kelme team during his career. The key word
here is ALLEDGED (correct spelling?) because this has never been proven,
whilst the Cofidis team have now been under investigation for the whole
season and the two riders above have admitted to using drugs in their
career?

The obvious answer is of course is that the sponsor in French ... now
banning the team from the tour would hurt Australia's prospects in the tour
as Stuart O'Grady and Matthew White (both new to the team this year) are due
to ride the race, but if fairness is observed, Cofidis, like the Kelme team
this year, and like teams in previous seasons such as Lampre with Raimundas
Rumsas and Vini Caldirola? with Stefano Garzelli?, should be stopped from
riding this race by the tour organisers ...

I guess some bull&^%* excuse will be made ...

Old June 27th 04, 12:15 PM
ProfTournesol

Chickasmith wrote:
[...]

you said it, because they are a French team....

Old June 27th 04, 11:30 PM
flyingdutch

ProfTournesol wrote:
you said it, because they are a French team....

I was about to agree with you when I remembered Festina were too. Im
betiing Cofidis are being given the 'right' to withdraw before the tour
starts. Im also Betting Stuey or his agent is madly trying to find
another team to take him on...

Old June 28th 04, 06:08 AM
Rob Woozle

Is it just me or does "Cofidis" sound like something you'd take for a sinus
infection ;-)

Rob
Rob Woozle
http://www.geocities.com/robwoozle
"Hello, is there anybody.....out there?"
Old June 28th 04, 07:15 AM
ProfTournesol

flyingdutch wrote:
I was about to agree with you when I remembered Festina were too. Im
betiing Cofidis are being given the 'right' to withdraw before the tour
starts. Im also Betting Stuey or his agent is madly trying to find
another team to take him on...

Festina was expelled for institutionalised doping, the Cofidis case is
less clear - there's no doubt that Cofidis riders are doping, after
all who isn't, but it is not clear if this is team sanctioned or
organised by individuals in the team. Of course it is a French team in
a French race.....

Old June 28th 04, 10:27 AM
Parbs

Rob Woozle wrote:
Is it just me or does "Cofidis" sound like something you'd take for a
sinus infection ;-)

Rob
Rob Woozle
http://www.geocities.com/robwoozle
"Hello, is there anybody.....out there?"

No, I thought it was too..

Parbs