Crank hops vs. regular hops

Old February 6th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Crank hops vs. regular hops

are crank hops acctually nessesary for anything or is it justan easy way
to get better ballance during normal hops. because i hop just as well
on my pedals as on my cranks. i was just wondering if they serve any
purpose.

(crank hop=standing on the cranks when hopping rather than the pedals)

--
trials_uni

'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) ---new more
informative post go now! edited today!
Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
(http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?) and meet other
unicyclists in your area!
Make Your Own 'Juggling Clubs!' (http://www.crazytieguy.com/clubs.htm)

Old February 6th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I have never used a crank hop before....It just messes you up. and since
you never see any trials riders, ever, hopping while on they're cranks,
it must not be very helpful.

--
forrestunifreak

I do not believe in computer programers.
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

"If I am ever that good I will be in a constant state of crapping my
pants." ~ koebwil

Old February 6th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

It's good when you do seatdrop, or land a unispin..
other than that i can't se any purpose at all with it

--
lleberg

I 3 my unicycle!
lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

Old February 6th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

One purpose is so that you can continue hopping after you accidentally
land on the cranks.

Also, I imagine that some of the flatland tricks that involve standing
on the cranks could be combined with a crank hop.

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

Old February 6th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

so they are useful for some applications but they arent a nessesary
skill?

Old February 6th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

IMHO, hopping on your cranks should be reserved for freestyle moves
only. If you hop on your cranks in the middle of a trials line, it
should cost you a point.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Old February 7th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Hi,

If you want not to hold your seat when hopping, you can squeeze the
frame between your feet.
But as the cranks have no grip (unlike the pins of a pedal) it's better
to have the feet on the pedals so they don't slide off when doing
trial. And when on sharp objects you could need more angle and power
that feet-on-the-cranks can't allow you.

Manuel

--
manu2015
manu2015's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9834

Crank Stiffness Tests??? [email protected] Techniques 47 October 27th 05 06:54 PM
Splined crank dilemma Carey Unicycling 7 October 10th 05 12:38 AM
Deriving a unicycle crank length formula? unicus Unicycling 47 October 8th 05 06:41 AM
Just snapped 20-yr-old crank arm... Jeff Potter Techniques 34 June 8th 04 04:22 AM