Meeting on the Humber bridge.

Old May 5th 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Meeting on the Humber bridge.

Last night I was cycling alone on the Humber Bridge heading south when this
guy on a TT bike came alongside and asked if I was going to the time trial.
Well blow me down if it wasn't local TT animal Chris Whitelam. (10 mile TT
in 22 mins)

http://www.hullthursdayrc.co.uk/2005...20Whitelam.jpg

Had a pleasant chat and explained that I am trying to avoid TTs all costs
but I go training with a lot of TT guys. Still, if CW thinks I look capable
of doing myself justice, who knows?

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old May 5th 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Had a pleasant chat and explained that I am trying to avoid TTs all
costs but I go training with a lot of TT guys. Still, if CW thinks I
look capable of doing myself justice, who knows?

Take it you were on the Fondriest? Don't worry, my road bike is too good
for my legs too ;-)

Seriously tho, whizz off down the road for 10 miles and see what you get.
I'd be surprised if you couldn't get an ok time.
Old May 5th 06, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mark Thompson wrote:
Had a pleasant chat and explained that I am trying to avoid TTs all
costs but I go training with a lot of TT guys. Still, if CW thinks I
look capable of doing myself justice, who knows?

Take it you were on the Fondriest? Don't worry, my road bike is too good
for my legs too ;-)

Seriously tho, whizz off down the road for 10 miles and see what you get.
I'd be surprised if you couldn't get an ok time.

Good plan, but it might give you an even better idea if you do an
out-and-back. Start 5 miles from a roundabout, go round it and return
to your starting point.

--
Dave...

Old May 5th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Last night I was cycling alone on the Humber Bridge heading south when
this guy on a TT bike came alongside and asked if I was going to the time
trial. Well blow me down if it wasn't local TT animal Chris Whitelam. (10
mile TT in 22 mins)

http://www.hullthursdayrc.co.uk/2005...20Whitelam.jpg

Had a pleasant chat and explained that I am trying to avoid TTs all costs
but I go training with a lot of TT guys. Still, if CW thinks I look
capable of doing myself justice, who knows?

I'm sure you are more than capable of doing a decent TT. The thing with TTs
is, the times others do really need not concern you - you can pitch your
ride at simply doing the best *you can do* on any given course and keep
trying to improve *for yourself*. Nathan loves his TT-ing as he sees himself
improve over time. Doesn't matter what others are doing - he aims to improve
his own times.

Cheers, helen s

Old May 5th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message 63, Mark
Thompson
('pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_ to_reply*.com') wrote:

Had a pleasant chat and explained that I am trying to avoid TTs all
costs but I go training with a lot of TT guys. Still, if CW thinks I
look capable of doing myself justice, who knows?

Take it you were on the Fondriest? Don't worry, my road bike is too
good for my legs too ;-)

Seriously tho, whizz off down the road for 10 miles and see what you
get. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get an ok time.

It doesn't really matter with TTs anyway. You're racing against yourself.
I'm regularly last or close to last in the TTs I compete in, but I like
watching my performance improve.

;; my other religion is Emacs
Old May 6th 06, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"wafflycat" wrote in message

I'm sure you are more than capable of doing a decent TT. The thing with
TTs is, the times others do really need not concern you - you can pitch
your ride at simply doing the best *you can do* on any given course and
keep trying to improve *for yourself*. Nathan loves his TT-ing as he sees
himself improve over time. Doesn't matter what others are doing - he aims
to improve his own times.

I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain and
very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)

Simon

Old May 6th 06, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Mason wrote:
"wafflycat" wrote in message

I'm sure you are more than capable of doing a decent TT. The thing with
TTs is, the times others do really need not concern you - you can pitch
your ride at simply doing the best *you can do* on any given course and
keep trying to improve *for yourself*. Nathan loves his TT-ing as he sees
himself improve over time. Doesn't matter what others are doing - he aims
to improve his own times.

I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain and
very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)

It doesn't have to be. I TT on the same bike I was riding 15 years ago.
The challenge is against oneself, on a particular course, on a
particular set of equipment. If the bike fits and is comfortable then
just get on with it and unless you are competing against others (rather
than riding an event with others), the expensive bits aren't necessary.

...d

Old May 6th 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Mason wrote:

I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain and
very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)

If you're patient, Nathan will discover girls and then Helen will have a
load of very expensive aero bits and bobs going spare. ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old May 6th 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain
and very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)

If you're patient, Nathan will discover girls and then Helen will have a
load of very expensive aero bits and bobs going spare. ;-)

Some of our local lads are at the same age. It's either young lads or 40 or
50 year olds in our club, so there could be cheap gear going soon when the
booze and birds become more seductive than grunting up hills in the cold and
wet ;-) Mind you, most of these lads are skint and try bumming stuff off me!

Old May 6th 06, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Mason wrote:

Mind you, most of these lads are skint and try bumming stuff off me!

That's why you need someone like Nathan with generous parents ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Liverpool to Parbold charlie UK 6 April 30th 06 08:25 PM
Melb-GardinersCk-SolwaySt Pedestrian Bridge Closure flyingdutch Australia 2 April 12th 06 12:23 PM
Ride Report - Leicester to Hull and Back 25/26th June (LONG) David Bentley UK 9 June 30th 05 02:54 PM
Highgate Bridge Colin Blackburn UK 14 July 15th 04 08:43 PM
incident on blackfriars bridge davek UK 46 May 20th 04 08:14 PM