Muni... in the dark... when it's snowing

Old February 26th 04, 09:30 PM
phil

Default Muni... in the dark... when it's snowing

An absolutely fantastic ride tonight!

I met up with the three mountain bikey people I know around here for an
evening of hurling ourselves down hills on such devices as bikes (two
wheels), munis (one wheel) and sledges (no wheels at all). Strangely
enough for the UK there was a decent quantity of snow around; I'd been
told it doesn't snow much down south, but this was great!

Yeovil has a fairly small but very steep hill near the centre, which was
excellent fun irrespective of how many wheels you're on. I've never done
proper muni in the snow before, but this was so hairy it was great
fun... skidding a lot of the way, bouncing over bumps the rest, and
rolling out of control the rest of the time, unable to slow down because
of the lack of grip.

Needless to say many UPDs were in evidence, from all contraptions; the
snow makes it obvious you can fly some serious distance when coming
unglued at high speeds, especially on a bike.

After that we went for a ride through the country park, also close to
the town centre; less falling off, but the ride was magic. Untouched
snow all over, almost perfect silence except the whizzing of freewheels
and the cracking of twigs, and a good variety of strenuous but short
uphills and fast but not too scary downhills.

I'll have a decent bruise collection in the morning, but it was
definitely worth it...

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old February 26th 04, 11:45 PM
redwelly

I concur! Snow is awesome, and I would describe my little adventure
after work in similar terms to yours. I didn't have long, and only did
one full flying upd, after a 50-100m ride gettign faster and faster,
hanging on for dear life on a snow covered field. At some point between
leaving the unicycle and coming to a stop upside down in the snow there
was a distant sound or merriement, as I was (previously unawares) being
watched by a bunch of sledgers. They weren't having nearly such fun
though . Snow seems to make everything soft enough to roll and crash
onto, which is handy, as it makes you do so more often too.

Wee, snow!

- Sam

--
redwelly - Panhead
redwelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4518

Old February 27th 04, 12:55 AM
Robbie

Snow can also cover in a thin layer what you dont want to be crashing
into.

--
Robbie - Spoons Taste Good

Proud owner of 3 young Sock Puppets... but when they get out of line, I
get out my whacking spoon.
Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302

Old February 27th 04, 01:20 PM
treepotato

that sounds amazing!

i'm jealous if i ever come to somerset i'm joining in!

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

Old February 27th 04, 01:43 PM
MrBoogiejuice

I also had a great evening last night, well more specifically the early
hours of this morning. After imbibing perhaps a few too many jack and
cokes left the bar to join in a snowball fight going on in the car park
opposite the bar I'd been in. However I don't reccomend being the only
unicyclist in a snowball fight, especially if you happen to be a drunken
unicyclist. the snowball fight became an exhibition of vicious
persecution with everyone deciding it would be jolly funny to see how
many times they could pelt me. I was having enough trouble trying to
stay on the thing in the snow without the added hassle of snowball
avoidance. The other downside of being on a uni in a snowball fight is
the difficulty of making snowballs to return fire with, as unlees you
happen to be near a raised object with snow on it, it's pretty tricky to
supply yourself with ammo. In the end I had to cower using my unicycle
as a shield, if a slightly ineffective one. Ahh well, twas all fun and
groovy and much revenge was had once I realised I'd do better if I
dismounted and returned fire. I had another incident with snow today in
my unicycle. I was riding to the supermarket to get some aspirin to try
and subdue the hangover the size of Madagascar, and when I reached the
school near the supermarket all the kids were having snowball fights
from each side of the road, with the road being no man's land. I gave a
cheery holler of cease fire as I rode past, not wanting to get a
snowball in my already very sore head. However, twas to no
avail.....Snowballs aplenty came flying at me and were thudding the wall
next to me. So there I was, hungover trying not to slip on the compacted
snow and a good dozen or so testosterone filled schoolboys hurling snow
at me. Anyway, thanks to it being a private school, and the kids there
all being fairly inbred their aim was a bit off, so managed not to get
hit. Anyway, on the way back from the supermarket I pass the school
again. A solitary snowball comes flying towards me followed by a shout,
I turned around to see what the shouting was about, and it was a teacher
from the school reprimanding the kid who'd hefted the snowball at me. So
I dismounted and wandered over to the Kids getting a bollocking and
through the fence gave them all dirty looks and laughed at their
misfortune. Twas a small victory, but in my hungover state quite a
satisfying one, as I was in no fit state to gain revenge by returning
fire. Anyway, that's my snowy unicycle adventures, what fun they've
been.
Out of interest, does anyone have, or know of anyone who has a unicycle
with snow chains?
bye, enjoy the snow.
Kit

--
MrBoogiejuice - Uni geek
MrBoogiejuice's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5515

Old February 27th 04, 10:08 PM
Danny Colyer

MrBoogiejuice wondered:

url:http://www.rpi.edu/dept/union/juggli...unichains.html

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Old February 28th 04, 09:04 PM
giocologgi

Great! today we've built a jump in the snow and we've jumped with
snowboard, muni, bob, and everything that can slide on the snow.
Then riding in the snow...in the night...!
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

--
giocologgi - TALK LESS RIDE MORE

My onza hate me... He want my blood!